Re: provisioning software, was DNS RRTYPEs, the difficulty with

2012-03-05 13:20:00
Alessandro Vesely wrote:

Why is it important what the DNS manager cares about?  Parsers,
including null parsers, would come with the same sub-package that
enables the new RR type definition.  Their complexity would only
matter to the people who read/maintain their sources.

+1

PS: For anyone who didn't read my previous message, I am NOT saying
that it's fine to overload everything into TXT.  I am saying that new
RRTYPEs that are text blobs interpreted by client software wouldn't
necessarily be bad.

Agreed.  That doesn't preclude syntax checking on loading the zone,
though.

As a Windows shop, there is no hiding of the long product development battles between the *nix weenies world and the WinDoze world. At a general level, the WinDoze world is not one that is use to and relies on text based "editors" configuration, they need the GUI. I even recourse getting a private message suggesting my customers must be "stupid."

Nonetheless, to reach critical mass, it is important the GUI is developed for this stuff. I can't rely on customers becoming text editor people if that is the only way to make this work. They only way I could even begin to offer DKIM, ADSP and even now ATPS is to provide a GUI, like this public version we have here for ADSP and ATPS

       http://www.winserver.com/public/wcadsp

Just consider that ATPS has SHA1, BASE32 functions to produce the records. That adds complexity for any DNS server manager (Windows or Bind) to consider. Its just not a plug and play consideration. Its probably easier for the ISP Web-based managers since its more of an add-on to there current DNS software, using command line tools to act on GUI posted information.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com