Re: DMARC: perspectives from a listadmin of large open-source lists

2014-04-14 10:10:12
Doug Barton wrote:

<snip>

But your point is well taken ... the "right" answer may be to fix or discard DMARC, I honestly don't know. But in a world where DMARC is here to stay, or if not DMARC then some other anti-spam solution that breaks mailing list forwarding; and in that same world where mailing list traffic is negligible (and therefore the cost of breaking mailing lists is in the noise compared to the benefits of deploying said anti-spam solution) it's incumbent on the mailing list software folks to solve this problem

Is it perhaps also incumbent on the folks promulgating DMARC (and its predecessors, and its sure-to-be successors) to work cooperatively with mailing list developers, rather than taking the position "nope, we break mailing lists, not our problem?"

I'm kind of coming to the conclusion that what we need to be looking at is defining an SMTP extension that addresses BOTH sets of concerns - and doing so in a cooperative manner that engages not just the community behind DKIM and DMARC, but also the developers and operators of mailman, sympa, majordomo, listserv - and ideally the sendmail, postfix, exim, qmail community.

Dare I suggest that this calls for an IETF working group?

Miles Fidelman