RE: DMARC: perspectives from a listadmin of large open-source lists

2014-04-14 19:35:15
Hi Mike,
At 09:53 14-04-2014, MH Michael Hammer (5304) wrote:
The fact is that a vocal constituency led by John Levine made it extremely clear that MLMs were out of scope and there was zero interest on the part of the MLM community in discussing ways in which MLMs could be made to work in an email authentication framework even if there were any MLM operators willing to do so. His stated solution has been and continues to be that list operators should drop any participants who post from a domain publishing p=reject and to prevent any new participants from joining from a domain that publishes p=reject. The record is quite clear on this and is available to anyone who wishes to peruse email archives, blog posts, etc. I view this as local policy and up to the list operator. I'm not confident how well this will ultimately work for many organizations the operators manage lists for. Just to be clear, the preceding is more of a question than an assertion.

I don't think that there is zero interest from the Mailman community (that's my interpretation of the Mailman discussions). Mailman developers do not participate in the IETF. There is an employee of a well-known company who has been arguing for changes to the mailing list management software since a long time. The Mailman patch for DMARC was written by Jim Popovitch and Phil Pennock ( https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2013-October/023349.html and https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2013-November/023384.html ).

Mailing list traffic is not significant in comparison with overall mail traffic. At the risk of sounding insensitive there isn't a business case for some providers to support mailing list traffic. I would consider John Levine's point about making it out of scope. There's still the problem of what to do about mailing lists.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy