Re: (DMARC) Why mailing lists are only sort of special

2014-04-17 17:21:10

Dave Cridland <dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net> wrote:
    > Right now, my MUA treats this as a message "From John R Levine
<johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com
    >> ". This means that any policy on the message origination comes from
looking
    > solely at the taugh.com domain. We'll pretend it has a DMARC policy.
Herein
    > lies the Yahoo/DMARC issue, because unless your policy essentially
stipulates
    > that the IETF is allowed to spoof you, we're stuck.

If, when sending to ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org, taugh.com knew that it was a
mailing list,
then it could include, in the message, a signed delegation saying that it was
okay for *this message* for ietf.org to impersonate him.

This is a simple application of cryptographic methods.  Keynote and SPKI
(and I think SASL) define ways to do this.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-