Re: Author disclosures and conflict of interest

2014-04-27 18:26:31

--On Friday, April 25, 2014 16:28 -0500 David Farmer
<farmer(_at_)umn(_dot_)edu> wrote:

I think the best we can do is encourage everyone to
voluntarily disclose the interests they represent and for
authors in particular to acknowledge non-obvious interests
they may be representing; being any interests that are not be
obvious from their stated affiliation.

Agreed, but I think "authors" needs to be extended to include
anyone in a decision or consensus-determining role.  That
includes at least WG Chairs, ADs, appointed experts of various
sorts.  And I think we probably ought to have at least an
informal norm that decisions made under circumstances in which
there were no disclosures of important relationships that might
have made a difference are, to the extent practicable,
appeal-able whenever those relationships become known.

   john