Re: Will mailing lists survive DMARC?

2014-04-29 06:22:52
On Tue, 29 Apr 2014, Alessandro Vesely wrote:

There has been some discussion on what should the IETF do about the
collateral damage experienced by several mailing lists when major
mailbox providers switch their DMARC policies to p=reject.

Mailing lists used to be a legitimate use of email.  Albeit they are
the workhorse of many organizations which are vital for the Internet
itself, such as the IETF and several software projects, statistically
they are a minor Internet feature.  I can understand that after
decades of failed attempts to control email abuse, their disappearance
is not the main concern of "p=reject" proponents.

Actually, I can't. Not fixing the mailing list and calling it "collateral damage but that's ok" is for me totally out of the question. On the other hand, this will primarily cause direct problems to users/customers of the organisations that decide to do "p=reject" as their participation in mailing lists will be crippled.

The DMARC draft is currently in "AD Followup" state.  A review was
posted here last week, a process which doesn't seem to affect
deployment much.

How is the IETF going to proceed on this issue?

I would really like to see the standards process for this mechanism be stopped until the mailing list problem has been sorted out. I don't really understand how it got that far with this problem unsolved.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike(_at_)swm(_dot_)pp(_dot_)se