Re: Will mailing lists survive DMARC?

2014-04-29 07:56:12
Ok, one more mail...but the last one (I claim)... ;-)

On 29 apr 2014, at 14:45, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com>
wrote:

The issue is that the operators in this case are externalizing their
problem.  The operator makes the decision and establishes a policy
that causes mailing list postings from addresses inside the operator's
domain of control to bounce.  The person who has to cope with those
bounces is the mailing list manager, and _not_ the mail domain
operator.  The cost of the side effect is not actually borne by the
mail domain operator.  So there certainly is damage to someone other
than the operator of the mail domain (or its customers).

The problem exists if A is publishing such a policy, B is acknowledging the
policy, B is generating a bounce, and the bounce is hitting the mailing list
provider.

I do not understand why a bounce should be generated (and not the incoming mail
to B would be tagged as spam and/or null-routed).

That said, the result of the above is that B is unsubscribed from the mailing
list due to large number of bounces, but that is because B is recognizing the
policy A is publishing.

Do I get this right?

   Patrik