Re: dmarc damage, was gmail users read on... [bozo subtopic]

2014-09-10 20:26:05
Is there an update on this? Aside from the operational importance of
having the IETF mailing lists working well for all users, knowledge of
how well the latest mailman fixes work will be very helpful for this
community to have.

There's a bunch of different workarounds in the latest version of
Mailman.

The one that's most widely used rewrites the From: line to put the
list's address in place of the author's.  It "works" in the sense that
it avoids DMARC rejections, but at the cost of screwing up the mailing
lists so you can't tell who wrote what from the usual MUA display, and
in many cases, you can't tell who wrote a message at all unless you
put the author's address as the Reply-To, which has its own well known
set of problems.

I've collected all of the DMARC workarounds I know on the ASRG wiki:

http://wiki.asrg.sp.am/wiki/Mitigating_DMARC_damage_to_third_party_mail

On my lists, I rewrite the domain in the From: line to create
forwarding addresses for the real authors.  It's a crock, but one I
find preserves the mailing list functionality better.

R's,
John