Re: Substantial nomcom procedure updates (Was: Re: Consolidating BCP 10 (Operation of the NomCom))

2014-09-15 23:56:09
At 10:44 PM 9/15/2014, Michael StJohns wrote:
I?d argue that 2 out of 10 is not necessarily a big problem. But are you
concerned about that, or are you concerned there might be cases where closely
associated entities can circumvent the limit of 2, or are you concerned that
the nomcom volunteers to a too large extent consists of commercial vendors?

Mostly I think the latter.  As a matter of pragmatism, the folks we select for
the various IESG/IAB/IAOC positions are mostly going to be those with good
support from their companies.  That's still going to trend towards selecting
people from large companies.  Even if we reduce the influence of large
companies on the selection process, that's not going to change for things like
the IESG, but at least we remove one leg of trends that tend to oligarchical
organization behavior.

I think I was asleep when writing the above  - instead:

Mostly I think its about too large a representation by large organizations,
regardless of their individual foci of commercial, educational, international
or state goals.   As a matter of pragmatism, the folks we select for our
leadership positions tend to come from large organizations, simply due to the
level of support necessary for a participant to be successful in an IETF
leadership position.  Changing the selection process for the composition of the
Nomcom is realistically NOT going to change that tendency.  What modification
of the selection process should do is reduce one of the enablers for
oligarchical organizational behavior - specifically like selecting like.

Mike