Re: IETF web site behind CloudFlare

2014-09-16 10:35:08

On Sep 16, 2014, at 4:52 AM, Linus Nordberg <linus+ietf(_at_)nordu(_dot_)net>
wrote:

Hi IETF,

It seems like www.ietf.org is behind CloudFlare:

$ dig +short www.ietf.org
www.ietf.org.cdn.cloudflare.net.
104.20.1.85
104.20.0.85

This is sad because it's now not possible to visit the site without
accepting JavaScript. At least if you get selected for solving a
CAPTCHA. Tor users is one group of users who are selected.

Is this permanent?
Will it hit more domains than www?
Where can I read about the decision to hide www behind CloudFlare?

Thanks,
Linus

“hide”?

I think I might start by asking the IAD or the IAOC. I wasn’t involved, but the
use of a CDN is usually a business decision, and they are the folks who make
business decisions for the IETF. AMS has historically provided redundancy for
www.ietf.org by hosting it at two sites, one of which was a secondary for the
other. Just a guess, but it’s mine, Cloudflare probably offered the IETF a deal
in which the IETF got redundant dual stack service and a good rate.