Re: IETF registration fee increase from 2015

2014-10-02 10:20:27
I think we are devolving to where the Churchill Maxim applies: “Democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others.”

At one extreme, we see someone wanting to give economic disincentive for
companies to donate their people to work on open standards. That would leave us
with… nobody (before one throws stones, I am in the nobody class). At the other
extreme, we see someone wanting to give strong economic incentive for companies
to buy influence on the standards process and have our publications reflect the
will of corporations, not the best, technical choice.

I would offer that funding the IETF via corporate donations,* meeting fees, and
PIR revenues is the worst way of funding an SDO, except for all the others.

* I am literal about corporate donations being donations (gifts). A lot of IETF
sponsorship goes through the Internet Society, a U.S. 503(c) entity. If a
corporation would be getting a direct benefit from donating, that would put the
Internet Society’s tax status in jeopardy. Thus, we are very careful NOT to
allow donors to buy influence or get other tangible benefits from their
donation. Now, corporations rarely (ever?) do something just to feel good. As
it happens, the fact that the world is better off with a funded IETF and
corporations are part of the world is OK. Ultimately, a stronger Internet is
better for these corporations’ selfish interests. However, what it also means
is that corporations do not get better better - everyone gets the same better.

On Oct 2, 2014, at 10:46 AM, Ray Bellis