mhonarc-users

Re: message body formatting

1998-01-15 04:52:54
On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Terence Pua wrote:

Also, is it possible to format the actual email message?  I can't seem
to find any resource element for this one either.

Hi all!

I subscribed the list with the sole purpose of discussing this subject
some time ago, but haven't got about to start. I know this subject has
been discussed before, but I wasn't quite satisfied.

I currently use hypermail for archiving two lists only because I like the
little formatting hypermail does. In most cases, 95%, just adding the
italic font and because the rest of the stuff is in proportionally
spaced font makes the text far easier to read, IMHO.

As I am sure many of you know, there exists a filter, txt2html.pl
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~seth/txt2html/
that converts text to pretty good, structured HTML. And it has a mailmode,
which is very good.

Therefore, I would really appriciate if MHonArc started converting
messages, using for example txt2html, there will of course always be
messages that are not easily converted, and may not look very good.
The great majority of messages will on the other hand, be easily
converted, and will enhance the readability of messages. And those
messages that doesn't look good will still be readable. I have manually
converted lots of strange things, and I was impressed.
It may be a good idea to provide a switch to turn the converting off,
though.

There is one enhancement that needs to be done to the txt2html code
though, it needs some markup around quoted text. I thought the new HTML4
element Q would be great, but I'm not so sure about that anymore. It may
also be a good idea to insert   for each white-space in quoted text.

I read some suggestion about using the MIME-capabilities to achieve this
effect. Admittedly, I didn't understand much of it, but that would demand
a lot from the users of the list, wouldn't it? I mean, many users are not
even able to use the right address for unsubscribing...

Friendly Tiddely-pom,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Graduate astronomy-student                       University of Oslo, Norway