mhonarc-users

Re: Is this normal for MHonArc?

1998-06-02 21:15:00
The effect of this is that all the msgXXXXX.html files older than a week
will indeed be removed from the directory, but the main index is not
changed and links to the old messages still appear in it. -main does not
rebuild the index either. Yes I reloaded the browser, I even checked from a
different browser on a different account. Clicking on the "expired" links
gives a "file not found" error.

The ERROR means mhonarc aborted execution.

Would it be possible for mhonarc to write the files into temporary files,
i.e. msgXXXXX.new, index.new, etc. and keep track of them in a list?  If
everything is successful, it could cycle through the list and rename to
their "true" names.  If an error is encountered, the files would be
removed.  Of course, this means lots of extraneous files over time if
the system is giving errors because of memory, etc.  What about making
this a -safe option or something?

If this is really hard to do, I apologize.  I've been meaning to get
into the source to see what the internals are all about, but I haven't
taken the time yet.  Just trying to think of creative ways to give you
more work.  :)

This could be achieved by creative scripts on the user's end too, and
it's something that I've been messing around with.  There could be
two sets of archives and a symbolic link:

    /archive1/
    /archive2/
    /mylist -> archive2

mhonarc would be told to update the list that /mylist doesn't point
to (archive1).  If successful, /mylist would change to point to
/archive1, /archive1 would have the changed files copied to /archive2,
and so on.  In case of failure, the message would be stored in an
errorfile and the system administrator notified.

Chris (who really has to upgrade from 2.0.0 beta 3 -- maybe I'll
       do that tonight)