Re: nmh and tcl

2002-07-25 11:01:11
Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)cmf(_dot_)nrl(_dot_)navy(_dot_)mil> wrote:
Chris Garrigues <cwg-dated-1028045524(_dot_)7c7f99(_at_)DeepEddy(_dot_)Com>
wrote:

More recently, the strategy that applications have used to implement (b) is
embed a language such as tcl instead.

The day that happens to MH/nmh will be the day that I switch to
using mutt.

Since the intersection of "people with cool ideas" and "people with
ability/time to implement said cool ideas" seems rather small at the
moment, I'm not exactly worried yet :-)

I agree there is no need to panic.  I just wanted to register dissent
with the expressed view.  But maybe I should have expanded on that
comment.

It is the accessibility of command line tools that makes nmh so
powerful.  It is already in the 21st century, although a little buggy
in spots.

I use exmh, as you can see from the headers.  But I also use the
command line tools.  For example, if I want to lart an ISP for spam
received from that network, I have a shell script that does most of
the work of preparing my complaint.  Some messages I preview with
command line tools before deciding whether to open in exmh -- this
avoids having to wait for garish pornography to be displayed before I
move the message to my spam folder.  And then, even while using exmh,
I have put some shell scripts into the command line backend to
simplify my job.  I expect many exmh users have done similar things.

 -NWR