Re: [Nmh-workers] masquerade settings & spost

2012-02-07 00:18:29
sorry. i was rambling. i'm only saying that it should be dropped,
because, a) it's a pretty new feature, so there are probably people
actively using it, and b) it's quite a useful feature -- on the fly
modification (albeit limited) of the From: address, in a way that caters
to the variable-recipient feature found in all major MTAs today. (i.e.,
pgf+mh@... or pgf-mh@...)

(Note: Paul meant "shouldn't be dropped" ...)

While I think that's useful, I do wonder how many people use it.  Hm,
I guess it's really just a re-working of the old plussed_user option,
and it used to check the USERPLUS variable.  Looks like Dan Harkless
updated that code ... over a decade ago.  Okay, yeah, I guess that's
new by nmh standards :-)

Well, the plan is you would run all drafts through mh-format, and
you could do that with the existing format language today.  So how
about default component formats which got your From line from the
enviroment?

oh, sure that would be fine. i didn't realize that was possible with
mh-format. forget i said anything.

Yeah, there is an amazing amount of functionality in mh-format.  I
guess it would look something like:

From: %<(getenv MHFROM)%|%(localmbox)%>

(Or whatever ... I haven't decided what to call the format function that
gets the local mailbox yet).

in any case, be sure and keep "cleanup" separate from "new features"
in your own mind, since some of us kibitzing from the sidelines keep
forgetting the distinction. :-) :-/

Sadly, it's all mashed up together :-/