Re: [Nmh-workers] What about an nmh-1.6-RC1

2014-07-22 14:32:30
David Levine <levinedl(_at_)acm(_dot_)org> writes:

Bill wrote:

But going forward Ken might be open to putting a link on the home
page called "Snapshots" that points to some directory somewhere
where the nightly build-bot can deposit a tarball called
nmh-snapshot-<YYYYMMDD>>.tgz.

I expect that wouldn't be worth the effort, both initial and
ongoing.

And it should be very easy for a user to do this:

    $ git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/nmh.git
    $ cd nmh
    $ docs/contrib/build_nmh -di

though on CentOS 6 and maybe others, that requires
installing a newer (at least 2.68) autoconf.  I don't know
what version of autoconf comes with CentOS 7.

Never mind, since what I was asking for was an amd64 binary snapshot,
but that is probably untenable.

Here's why:

It took over four weeks for me to do this very easy task on our CentOS 6
system. Fortunately, they had already installed some more modern
compilation tools, but not all.

1. Ask IT to install git. Go to CCB. Install.
2. Compile, notice that a library is missing.
3. Ask IT to install library. Go to CCB. Install.
4. Go to 2.

At any time, IT could have said no. Game over.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler(_at_)newt(_dot_)com> aka
<Bill(_dot_)Wohler(_at_)nasa(_dot_)gov>