Re: [Nmh-workers] What about an nmh-1.6-RC1

2014-07-22 19:18:37

On Jul 22, 2014, at 5:07 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon(_at_)orthanc(_dot_)ca>
wrote:

These days I do think it's reasonable to expect openssl to be present.  But
not the CMU SASL libraries.  My thought has always been that we should
include our own bare-bones SASL implementation, sufficient to allow CRAM-MD5
and PLAIN (after a successful TLS negotiation).  This would certainly cover
off the vast majority of cases where MH needs to talk to an SMTP or
Submission server.  I'm not sure what the state of the art is in POP servers,
as I haven't used one in a couple of decades.

To clarify, I'm not suggesting dropping the CMU SASL support.  What I meant to
say is that we should include a light weight SASL implementation as I described
that would be built iff CMU SASL support was not enabled in the build.

--lyndon