Re: [Nmh-workers] date math

2014-12-15 12:14:46
[Norm:]
Shouldn't that be the default?

You know ... maybe?  What do others think?

No, because date is the sender's context.  And it's easy enough
to change how it's viewed.

I dunno ... I mean, do you care about the date an email was sent _in the
sender's timezone_?  Or do you care about the date an email was sent
in _your_ timezone?  Now that I think about it, I really care about
when an email was sent in _my_ timezone.  And I'm starting to get more
emails with a specified timezone of +0000, which is annoying.  That
makes me think that the "standard" is for MUAs to display dates in local
timezone.  And ... well, it's "easy" enough to change if you have hacked
on mh-format(5) before, like you and I.  For others, as evidenced by
the original email message on this topic, it's not so obvious.  I am
interested in hearing from others on this topic, though!

If the timezone information is invalid ... well, it's a bit unclear what
we should do here.  I see we have a specific flag set for that, but it
looks like according to RFC 5322 we should output "-0000" for the %(tws)
escape if we weren't given a timezone.