Re: [Nmh-workers] date math

2014-12-15 19:08:16
It actually is hard, there's no one-one mapping between numeric offsets
and timezone names.abbreviations - you alo need to know the origin of the
message (of course, if you've converted to local time, and are just
printing the local offset, then it is relatively easy).

For example, if you see a message with -0500 as the numeric offset, is
that US Eastern Standard time, or US Central Daylight time?   Or
might it just be from Chile (which also uses -0400 and -0500, but
given it in the other hemisphere, at different times of year).

In the EST/CDT division, existing routines already "know" if a
particular date falls under DST so there is no ambiguity there.  But
like you said, it's hard to know if the sender is in the "wrong"
hemisphere :-)

There's a lot of work required to get this particularly useless piece of
information - just stick with numeric (except possibly when you are
deliberately printing the local equivalent - which also makes it more
clear to the viewer whether it is an original or a converted time they're
seeing).

That's fair enough, although the original MH developers did not think it
was useless; the code to get this information existed back then.  But
if people are fine jettisoning the last vestiges of it, then I'm fine
as well.

On the other question, of defaults, I quite like the exmh method,  for your
message, for example, the Date: header is shown as ...

      Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 12:56:46 -0500 (Tue 00:56 ICT)

That ... does not seem to be something that exmh does, actually, at
least not out of the box AFAICT.  There's no code in exmh I can find
which rewrites the date header for you.  I'm an exmh user, and your
message had the date header:

        Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 02:49:59 +0700

As far as I can tell, exmh just displays the date header directly
as it was in the message.  Are you sure your local MTA isn't doing that
for you?