Re: [Nmh-workers] semantics of mhshow -type and -part

2015-01-31 09:14:47
Hi Paul,

 msg part  type/subtype              size description
  27       multipart/mixed           5902
     1     multipart/alternative     5213
     1.1   text/enriched               33
     1.2   text/html                 4548
     1.3   text/plain                 145
     2     application/x-zip-compre    57 Dummy Attachment

but what should "mhshow -type text" do, where the subtype is
unspecified?

Show me just one text/* part of each alternative, i.e. 1.1 if nmh hasn't
developed a way to say text/plain trumps text/enriched yet.

my feeling is that the latter behavior is correct, and that specifying
the type should override the "alternative" property of the multipart.

No, I'm just saying I want text and not PDFs or images in this pass.
Not that I want to see the (probably very similar) text in triplicate.

Perhaps an `-allalternatives' switch would give your behaviour, for when
I want to see if all three are indeed triplicates or whether their
text/plain is just a `view it online' one-liner.

 msg part  type/subtype              size description
7280       multipart/mixed           3645
     1     multipart/alternative     3184
     1.1   multipart/related         1867
     1.1.1 text/html                 1629
     1.2   text/plain                1002
     2     text/plain                 127

in the case of this message, again, what should "mhshow -type text"
show?  should it ignore the notion of "alternative" and show 1.1.1,
1.2, and 2?  or should it show just one of 1.1.1 or 1.2?

1.1.1 and 2.  Not 1.2 because 1.1.1 trumps it.

If 1.1.1 was image/png, then 1.2 instead of 1.1.1 because alternative
1.1 failed to show anything.

likewise, what should "mhshow -part 1.1.1 -part 1.2" show?

1.1.1 and 1.2.  I think explicitly naming parts by their hierarchy means
you want exactly those and know what you're doing.

Cheers, Ralph.