Re: [Nmh-workers] semantics of mhshow -type and -part

2015-01-31 09:58:09
david wrote:
Paul F. wrote:

    http://www.foxharp.boston.ma.us/tmp/mh_samples/28.txt

So, just "mhshow" does the right thing (parts 1.1.1 and part 2)
for me.  It does seem odd that "-type text/plain" doesn't show
part 1.2.  Esp. given that "-type text/html" does show part
1.1.1.  But maybe it's due to trying too hard to obey
multipart/alternative.  And maybe I'm catching up to your
thought process.  But I still think that more than one part of a
multipart/alternative should never be shown, unless they are
requested by multiple -part switches.

okay.  we're agreed that multiple -part options should override
"alternative".  it wasn't at all clear to me that an
underspecified -type (i.e., "-type text") shouldn't do the same, but i
understand your reasoning.

for completeness, here's a case i didn't ask about.  given my message 27:
 msg part  type/subtype              size description
  27       multipart/mixed           1534
     1     multipart/alternative      845
     1.1   text/enriched               33
     1.2   text/html                  295
     1.3   text/plain                  30
     2     application/x-zip-compre    57 Dummy Attachment

what should "mhshow -type text/enriched -type text/plain" do?  mh
currently just shows one of them.  again, i feel it should show both,
but again, your (and ralph's) reasoning presumably says no.

paul