Re: Anti-emailbomb recipe Q

1996-08-22 16:39:26
On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, William Avery wrote:

I think what you want is:

:0
* ! ^From:.*(postmaster|Mailer)
* ! ^From:.*(listproc|majordomo|listserv)
* ! ^TO(several|mailinglists|seperated|like|this)
/dev/null

The ^TO macro generally works better than checking the To: header
alone because it will also catch things like Cc:'s.  I'm not sure, but
you could probably use the ^FROM_MAILER macro in place of the first
condition as well.  If you want to stop email bombs as the subject
suggests you might also add a size comparison line.

Ok, I'll give this a try.  I'm not so much worried about getting huge
files as I am about getting subscribed to tons of mailing lists.  I'm
trying to write a filter that will dump the messages from the mailing
lists themselves while keeping all of the Welcome messages that usually
have unsubscribe info.

Another thing came to mind while writing this:  In what order does
Procmail process the rc files, and then the recipes inside?  I assume
that it goes through them in the order that they are in .procmailrc,
correct?  Where would I put this recipe so that it would work the best?

---

Zach Babayco

zachb(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com  <----- finger for PGP public key
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/4127

--
| \/ \ /|_ |_/  "There is no god but caffeine, and Java is its Prophet."
|_/\_//_|__| \  "Hey! It compiles! Ship it!"