what's wrong with pine?

1996-08-26 13:35:12
On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, athar shiraz siddiqui wrote:

the mailer I use is
.... pine ( I plan to convert some day : it is now like some bad habit)

i don't mean to sound defensive, so please don't misunderstand me, but i'm
quite confused: what's wrong with pine?  this isn't the first time that
i've gotten the impression that it's looked down upon.  (for instance,
i've *never* *ever* *ever* seen an O'Reilly book mention pine when it is
discussing other similar programs or talking about e-mail generally and
mail programs are mentioned.  i don't think i've seen any other book by
any other publisher mention it either.  (but i mainly read O'Reilly, so i
mention them.)  elm gets mentioned, but i've never met anyone who uses
elm.  practically everyone who doesn't use an online service or a program
like Eudora or Pegasus mail that runs on their own computer uses pine.)

so what's the deal?  someone please clue me in.  it's got to be more than
just the way pine saves files, right?

  -brandon