Re: Mail backup

1997-08-17 16:33:00
On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, David W. Tamkin wrote:

|     cat - backup > backup.$$ && mv backup.$$ backup
|
|    You'll get some savings from mv not having to copy the file...

Very good point, Karl.  My reasoning in suggesting /tmp/backup.$$ is that
one might be so near one's storage quota that $MAILDIR/backup.$$ couldn't be
written out in full (or even to the point of saving the incoming message plus

Well, considering I'm one of the sysadmins, the quota isn't an issue for
me. Any other better way to do it w/o worrying about quota?

Any other time savers though?

999 more as Brock wants).  Besides, when I posted I was deprecating the idea
of adding gyrations for every incoming message instead of adding them just
once a day in Brock's cron job.

There's a good reasoning behind it though -- if you want to see a message
that you erased five minutes earlier, it's all in one file.

 | Brock Rozen | brozen(_at_)webdreams(_dot_)com |
http://www.webdreams.com/~brozen |