Re: Mail backup

1997-08-18 01:02:00
On Sun, 17 Aug 1997 19:03:04 -0400 (EDT),
Brock Rozen <brozen(_at_)webdreams(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, David W. Tamkin wrote:
Very good point, Karl. My reasoning in suggesting /tmp/backup.$$
is that one might be so near one's storage quota that
$MAILDIR/backup.$$ couldn't be written out in full (or even to the
point of saving the incoming message plus
Well, considering I'm one of the sysadmins, the quota isn't an issue for
me. Any other better way to do it w/o worrying about quota?
Any other time savers though?

I was going to suggest a separate backup folder for each day. Then you
can do more elaborate things in the cron job, such as erase only those
folders which you haven't accessed in a full week.

  # In your .procmailrc,
  :0c:
  backups/backup.`date +%y%m%d`

  # In your cron job, (hoping you have GNU find and xargs),
  find $HOME/Mail/backups/ -atime +7 -print0 | xargs -0 -r rm -f

If you use PINE, I believe you can set it up to read MH-style
one-file-per-message folders, which is the nicest if you only have the
disk space for that.

/* era */

--
Defin-i-t-e-ly. Sep-a-r-a-te. Gram-m-a-r.  <http://www.iki.fi/~era/>