Re: Dealing with this address formatting

1998-02-16 01:11:25
At 01:06 AM 2/16/98 -0600, Brad Knowles wrote:

[domain portion of major ISP Message-IDs matching domain of ISP]

   What about mailing lists?  Especially those run as entries in
/etc/aliases?

Do you know any MSN users who have /etc/aliases access *ON MSN* ?  AOL?  etc?

I mentioned SPECIFIC domains because _in my experience_ those specific
domains (and several others) generally have only had traffic which goes
through their mail servers, and are typically used by less sophisticated
crowds (not a jibe, just how many people who have AOL accounts are likely
to use a different account to send mail as if they were sending it from
their AOL account, even if valid?).  There may be an exception here and
there, but I haven't run into one.  Further, the rule does NOT apply to all
domains - just a handful I've collected, and which tend to predominate spam
forgeries.  I run the same ruleset on yahoo(mail), lycosmail, excite,
hotmail, juno, etc.  It catches a signifigant amount of spam, though I
check it after basic stuff like X-UIDL and mailerscum.

Besides, proper handling of a remailed message on a mailing list is to have
the list add "Resent-Message-ID:" with a list-generated Message-ID.  The
original Message-ID is retained.  Look at your procmail messages as an
example.