Re: My Sincerest Apology

1998-02-24 04:02:38
Dear Catherine,

I apologize profusely.  I guese I don't know what I'm doing.  Your
program wacks about 90-95% of my junk mail.  I can't thank you enough,
and have reccomended your program to many others.

The lists I cc'd to I found in one of your old htm files I had stashed
locally.

I just got bombarded by this person, couldn't get a net-block read from
internic to make a complaint, and just kinda shotgunned it, figuring
some how it would get fixed.

The last thing I want to do, is dis-enfranchise friendly resources for
killing spam.

Please let me know how I can get this right.  I have a couple of other
messages similar to yours, and I feel like I'm really in the tall grass
here.

As I recall, I installed your lite version of procmail.  One of the
other compaintants sugested modifying the reciepe ... he was the kindest

Try using this procmail recipe

:0
* ^From:(_dot_)*up(_at_)linkpro\(_dot_)com
/dev/null

This will delete all mail from up(_at_)uplinkpro(_dot_)com(_dot_)  The
following will
delete
all email from uplinkpro.com's domain

:0
* ^Received:.*linkpro\.com
/dev/null

Felix Tilley

I'll have to review this when I'm fresher ... it's late ...
anyway, Catherine, please let me know what is appropriate protocal ...
that is how to get this jerk into the spam kill system, without pissing
everybody off.

BTW, I do not presently have access to the best newsgroups.  I have been
working on my ISP (I'm 3 hrs north of the city) to give a me static IP
address so I can again get access.  I don't know if that would have made
a difference, but barring that, I just plain don't have any excusses
except ignorance.

Your progarm whacks about 300K to 400K /mo into MendoNet

Thank You and All The Best

Jon Hollcraft
mailto:killspam(_at_)mendonet(_dot_)com
(707) 984-8400

Catherine Hampton wrote:

Jon -- what on =EARTH= do you think you are doing, sending a spam complaint
to two mailing lists, particularly to three mailing lists -- the Procmail
list and List-Mom lists (which I'm on, but at the moment am not reading)
and the Orthodoxy list at Best Internet, which I moderate.  (The Orthodoxy
list software fortunately knows to reject email from people not on the
list.)

I am entirely in favor of complaining about spam, and do so, but this
Cc: list is unacceptable and itself abusive.  I think you owe me, and
the readers of the Procmail list (which isn't sophisticated about such
things and let this off-topic email pass), an apology.

--
Catherine Hampton <ariel(_at_)tempest(_dot_)boxmail(_dot_)com>

From procmail-request(_at_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de  Sun Feb 22
23:39:02 1998