Re: profiling so as to order greps for mailing lists

1998-02-24 04:09:27
At 04:37 AM 2/24/98 -0500, Scott McDermott wrote:

I'm on an excessive number of mailing lists.  I've reorded things and

Define excessive.  :)

month's time, the number of delivers to the mailboxes, so i can reorder
both within the conditional branches, and without them.  Is there a good
way someone has used to accomplish this?

Yea, turn on logging.  In .procmailrc:
        VERBOSE=off
        LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/log

Then, try running mailstat on the logfile when you get the whim to see
counts.  No manpage for mailstat, just run 'mailstat -h' for brief help.

        mailstat -k ~/Mail/log | less

Does nicely for generating and paging a report.  Mailstat is part of the
procmail distribution.

If you emit logfile items (I do for spam and advisories - I report WHAT
criteria I matched spam on), each of those will be counted and placed in
the output, which is handy for keeping track of how much matches one recipe
or another.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395