Re: Error while forking formail

1998-02-25 20:51:59
Dionysus <dionysus(_at_)jcave(_dot_)com> writes:
Klein, R. wrote:
we are using procmail as local delivery agent and I want to play around with
several custom header flags, thats why I set up an procmailrc which looks
like this:

COMSAT=off
VERBOSE=on
LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail.log
CONFIRMDELIVERY=`formail -x"return-receipt-to"`
CONFIRMREADING=`formail -x"x-confirm-reading-to"`
MAILDIR=$1
LASTFOLDER=$MAILDIR
:0
*
        $MAILDIR

So, what are you trying to do here?  $1 is coming from the procmail
command line, not from anything inside the procmail script.  Next, why
are you assigning to LASTFOLDER?  Procmail does that for you when a
delivery takes place, so by assigning to it yourself you're confusing
its meaning.  Finally, delivering to $MAILDIR is kinda odd: unless you
have something else going on behind the scenes or afterwards, you might
as well just write the above as:

        COMSAT=off
        CONFIRMREADING=`formail -x"x-confirm-reading-to"`
        :0
        $1

Why try changing directories ahead of time when you can just write
directly to it?

   My problem is this
procmail: Assigning "MAILDIR=/home/dionysus/.procmail"
procmail: Couldn't chdir to "/home/dionysus/.procmail"

   Buddie, good luck  I have been around the world with this one!
   Everyone says: "well...  it should work then"

Is the machine that procmail is running on the one you think it is?  If
you're not 200% sure, then put

        LOG = "Host = $HOST
        "

at the top of your .procmailrc and check to see what the logfile says.
Is /home/dionysus/.procmail NFS mounted on that machine?  Have you
talked with your sysadmin (assuming you're not your own sysadmin)?  If
not, DO SO.

Philip Guenther