Re: need alternative for `fgrep --quiet'

2000-11-08 12:15:01

  procmail: Executing " (formail -x From: -x Sender: | fgrep -iqf $FRIENDS)"
  fgrep: ERROR: Illegal option -- q
  procmail: Program failure (2) of " (formail -x From: -x Sender: | fgrep
-iqf $FRIENDS)"

I'm not too familiar with UNIX but believe fgrep, at my ISP, does not allow
the -quiet option. What may I use instead to make my recipe work?

 Here's what the GNU grep man page has to say about this:

     -q, --quiet, --silent
          Quiet; suppress normal output.  The scanning will  stop
          on  the  first match.  Also see the -s or --no-messages
          option below.
[...]
     -s, --no-messages
          Suppress error messages about nonexistent or unreadable
          files.   Portability note: unlike GNU grep, traditional
          grep did not conform to  POSIX.2,  because  traditional
          grep  lacked a -q option and its -s option behaved like
          GNU grep's -q option.  Shell  scripts  intended  to  be
          portable  to  traditional grep should avoid both -q and
          -s and should redirect output to /dev/null instead.