re: need alternative for `fgrep --quiet'

2000-11-08 14:40:43
I'm not too familiar with UNIX but believe fgrep, at my ISP, does not
allow the -quiet option. What may I use instead to make my recipe work?

Uh, perhaps you could indicate why it is you need it - to abort the search
early, or to suppress output somehow?

My reciepe (borrowed from Craig Johnston) searches the $FRIENDS file for people
I always want to get mail from. If the mail is from one of them, then forward a
copy to work.

   :0
   * ? (formail -x From: -x Sender: | fgrep -iqf $FRIENDS)
   {
     :0 c:
     ${DEFAULT}

     :0 fhw
     | cat - ; \
     echo "======= Forwarded Mail from kuo(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com
=========="

     :0 fhw
     | formail -A"X-Loop: kuo(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com"

     :0
     !jkuo(_at_)meditech(_dot_)com
   }

I think the -q is supposed to suppress all normal output. Would this line work?

   * ? (formail -x From: -x Sender: | fgrep -if $FRIENDS > /dev/null)

Find out what version of fgrep you have there, because GNU fgrep supports
it.

I can't telnet from work so I'm not sure of which version of fgrep at my ISP.
If it helps all of my ISPs run the SGI IRIX 6.2 (System V Release 4 with BSD
extensions) operating system.

Thank you.  --  Justin