Re: removed exec from .forward

2001-08-22 20:46:47
Andrew suggested to Kayven,

| Try "env | grep SHELL=" instead.
| Then see if the shell listed is found in /etc/shells.
|
| grep -c `env | grep SHELL= | sed s/SHELL=//` /etc/shells

Oh, heavens.

Isn't

  grep -x $SHELL /etc/shells

sufficient?  Or if Kayven's grep doesn't support -x,

 grep ^$SHELL$ /etc/shells

Or one could simply enter

 echo $SHELL

to learn the value and then

 cat /etc/shells

to look for it.

And all that aside, it's still wrong.  What Kayven needs to check
/etc/shells for is the login shell, not the current value of $SHELL (which
usually will be the same but need not).  For that,

 grep ^kayve: /etc/passwd

or if there's a finger daemon,

 finger kayve

and then cat /etc/shells to look for it.  For example, ucsf.edu accepts
external finger requests, so I can see that Kayven's login shell there is
/bin/bsh.