Re: How to process messages with ^M characters?

2001-10-03 09:27:14

Thanks all for your suggestions.

David was right on.  I tried the many suggestions.  The only
version that work was to pipe through :

sed 's/^M$//'

Thanks again.

Dominic.

"David W. Tamkin" <dattier(_at_)ripco(_dot_)com> writes:

Marc advised Dominic,

| when uploading ascii file in binary mode with ftp you should
|use..
|
| sed -e "s/\r\n/\n/" this will problably be the same, convert a
|dos enter to a unix enter.

In sed "\n" matches only an embedded newline, not the one at the
end of the pattern space, and "\r" isn't recognized at all (well,
maybe in a few extended seds).  The above code will never match
and never substitute.

 sed 's/^M$//'

will do it, usually requiring ctrl-V enter or ctr-V ctrl-M to
enter the ^M.  However, Dominic was already taking care of that by

filtering through dos2unix.

Let's go back to Dominic's problematic recipe that he said is
leading to losing the messages:

:0: * ^(To|Cc|From):.*jobboom\.com | $dos2unix | formail -A

My first four guesses are that (1) the dos2unix variable isn't
getting set as he thinks it is [it is better to call executables
by their basenames, adding directories to $PATH if needed, than to

assign variables and rely on those; I don't understand why people
do that], (2) the dos2unix program is bombing and generating no
output, (3) the JOBS variable is unset or null, or (4) the JOBS
variable points somewhere other than where Dominic expects, so
when he says the mail is lost, it's really in $JOBS but $JOBS
isn't where he's looking for it.

The usual question: what does a verbose logfile say?