Re: Request to mailing list sa-l rejected

2001-10-12 20:17:50
At 17:27 2001-10-12 -0700, Andrew Edelstein wrote:
Anyone else been gettng these when posting to the procmail list?

On the surface, it would seem as if some bonehead(*) apparently subscribed ANOTHER list to procmail, and THAT list doesn't accept messages unless it is cleartexted as a recipient (generally not a bad policy - I've done the same thing on my own lists for years). Fine. So, the admin of that list IGNORES queries sent to him about this mystery subscription which ask for getting sent back the headers for the message which they recieved (I mean, since they're notifying YOU that YOUR message isn't being accepted, why should they have a problem sending YOU YOUR own message?).

Using those headers, we'd stand a chance of identifying the relay user (some idiot(*) doing a simple forward recipe), or if the other list is directly subscribed, and then get that address to the listadmin here (I had an offlist with Phillip about this very same problem, and he relayed that to the listadmin, Guido).

BUT, as per below, the sa-l list IS NOT listed in the subscriber list of procmail -- this is some twit(*) FORWARDING the messages. Thus, for us to have any hope of identifying the problem account and either communicating to that person that this is a STOOPID thing to do, or just getting them unsubscribed to make it go away (though I'm somewhat partial to bouncing all of the administrative messages to them), we need the admin of the sa-l list to decide that actually RESPONDING to queries sent to them would be in the best interest of all involved.

FTR, sa-l is a security administrator's list (<giggle>, oh, the irony). ar.inter.net is an Argentina site for inter.net services. However, the list administrative messages are coming through in English, and the list administration interface <http://lists.ar.inter.net> presents in English as well, so it is doubtful that the list administator doesn't understand the text of the queries being sent to them.

I started getting them a few days ago, but couldn't figure out why. I'm
guessing someone attempted to subscribe one of the lists I'm on to another
list but didn't know what they were doing.

Worse, what if they knew full well what they were doing - the password-based MailMan list config stuff would prevent another list member from doing the footwork to identify the problem address and simply unsubscribing it for the good of all.

An educated guess based on the headers is that it's implemented in ezmlm, but
it doesn't include the message that it's "rejecting", so I can't tell where
they're coming from.

It includes the SUBJECT. That's a far cry better than some bounces I've seen, which come from a generic bounce account at some service and say "user is unknown", not including ANYTHING from the original message (including the subject), or the ADDRESS of the unknown user. No idea what list they're on or anything, and the bounces are often processed asynchronously - just because I sent a message five minutes ago doesn't mean that the mystery bounce I received has anything to do with it -- the last message I sent could have been four or twelve hours before the timestamp bounce.

> Any questions or comments should be directed to the list administrator
> at:
>
>     sa-l-admin(_at_)lists(_dot_)ar(_dot_)inter(_dot_)net

Thus far, such queries have gone unanswered. Even the message I sent to the listadmin as soon as I received a message indicating that someone had either subscribed that list to procmail or was relaying.

I checked the procmail administration page, and the procmail list doesn't recognize that there is a subscriber as any of the following addresses:
        sa-l(-admin|)@(lists.|)(ar.|)inter.net

In fact, yesterday Guido indicated that a grep of the subscriber list failed to turn up a match on "sa-l" or "ar.inter.net", so it would seem that the list is NOT directly subscribed (if it is, it has an alias), but rather that some dufus(*) has taken it upon themselves to relay the messages using a forward rule.

(*) identifiers used to signify my distaste for the poor judgement exhibited by the individual responsible for this relaying. You simply DO NOT relay lists without the explicit permission of the listadmin, and in fact, the understanding of the list membership at large.