Re: Request to mailing list sa-l rejected

2001-10-15 08:11:14
David Linn wrote,

| It was once a
| fairly common practice to conserve network bandwidth by subscribing
| a local exploder to external lists, i.e. the external list sent *one*
| copy to the local system and the local system redistributed the message
| to all of the local readers.  Given, this was back when lists were mostly
| managed by hand, but there *is* precedent for the sort of thing that
| sa-l(_at_)(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_) represents.

I don't see how the old days' local exploders are any precedent for a rogue
member's surreptitiously taking all posts of a list whose members don't want
them leaked and forwarding them to a list whose administrator doesn't want
to receive them.  If sa-l were an exploder for the Procmail List, it would
be a member of the Procmail List and it would accept posts passed to it by
the Procmail List, but it isn't and it doesn't.

Two things killed the practice of local explosion: spam (because lists had
to allow only members to post, and the central list software could not know
who belonged to downstream exploders) and the eternal September (because
members of the exploders who wanted to unsub would harass the administrator
of the central list to take them off or else).