Maildir format delivery

2001-11-13 06:48:31

Hi Guys

I've looked in FAQs etc, but can't seem to find an answer. So here goes: I'm currently running procmail as a delivery agent to approx. 2.2 million users spread across 4 mail servers. For historical reasons, we've always used mailbox format but now, because we want to start using NFS shares, we've decided to convert to maildir.

None of the users exist as Unix users; they are all defined in an Oracle database. What we do is define a mailer in sendmail which passes the mail to procmail which then calls an authentication script and returns the location of the user's mailbox, which is now going to be a maildir.

I need to do something like this:

# Run address auth script
:0
DELMAILBOX=|/usr/local/etc/mailauth

# Deliver if address is local
:0:
* DELMAILBOX ?? ^/var/mail/
$DELMAILBOX

.. where the script would return the mailbox file name.This is how we currently do delivery and it has worked fine for years. However, when I tested what would happen with maildirs, by creating an appropriate directory structure and a simple recipe:

:0
/var/mail/dirk/

.. procmail delivered the mail into /var/mail/dirk instead of /var/mail/dirk/new

I suppose my question is, do I need to have my script return /var/mail/dirk/new as the mail location or am I doing something wrong here?

Cheers

John P Connor
Lead Systems Engineer
ICL e-Innovation Internet Services