Re: Hosting multiple domains...

2001-11-18 21:31:41

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 07:31:35PM -0500, MAILER-DAEMON wrote:

Thank you for your response.  I am pretty familiar with the sendmail
virtual hosting setup, and I have a fairly elaborate setup now.  I have
been unable to find an answer in sendmail though to my specific problem
of routing mail users of the same name in different domains.

What are you trying to do that is beyond the scope of sendmail?  What
"default configuration" are you talking about?

The biggest problem is that Redhat only allows usernames to be 7 or 8
chars long, otherwise I would just setup long account names that
include the domain name.

When acting as a local deliver agent, procmail simply takes a local
username provided by the MTA (sendmail), and sticks the mail in the
user's mailbox.  The limitations of any particular operating system
are not really procmail's issue to resolve, but that still doesn't
have much to do with local usernames.  For local delivery, procmail
doesn't need to know anything about your virtual domains, because all
of that handling is supposed to be done by sendmail.

How does Procmail route mail to the users mailboxes if the default
configuration has not been changed?  I think that is the real question
I was trying to have answered here.

Procmail does not "route" mail to mailboxes, it simply delivers mail to
the user's mailbox that is specified by sendmail.  Are you asking how
procmail decides where the user's mailbox is located?  Or is the problem
that you're not storing mailboxes in a default location?  Give us an
example of what's not working and what you think it should be doing, and
we can help.

--
  Paul Chvostek
<paul(_at_)it(_dot_)ca>