Re: Orbs type filtering at a system level

2001-11-20 14:00:39

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 03:32:44PM -0500, Matthew G. Saroff wrote:

Paul Chvostek wrote:
Your ISP will have to remove the MTA-based ORBZ blocking in order for
any mail to hit your procmail recipes.
      I'm not sure how my ISP is doing the filtering.  I have
a question in to them.

It's pretty straightforward.  Each MTA has a pretty exclusive method
for incorporating DNS blacklists.  99% of the time, such implementation
at the MTA level will be something that can't be changed on a per-user
basis.  The MTA does the blacklist lookup when the SMTP connection is
made, rather than wasting time and bandwidth accepting the message
to determine the recipient.

Note that having procmail do dnsbl processing will cause a MUCH heavier
load on your ISP's mail server than having the filters in the MTA, and
your ISP may not like that.
      I'm not particularly fond of the idea that they are
bit-bucketing my email.  I paid extra to get a Procmail friendly
ISP, so I could do my OWN filtering.

They're probably not bit-bucketing it.  If everything's set up properly,
the original sender should receive a bounce message, perhaps with
instructions on how to track down the blacklisting.

Check out http://www.waltdnes.org for some good recipes for reversing a
dotted quad.  With those recipes, if you just want to toss the mail, you
could probably do something like:
      Dotted quad?  Please explain the term.

Check the web page.  Dotted quad is a way to represent IP addresses,
and a reverse dotted quad is how the DNS blacklists identify hosts
for inclusion.

      I'm trying to give my ISP a way for people to opt out of
this, I thought that doing a test for a "myob" file before applying
a procmail filter, and making that part of the system .procmailrc
file would be a good way of doing this.

Refer your ISP to http://www.waltdnes.org/ and advise that they wrap
the examples there in a

:0
* ? test -f $HOME/.markdnsbl
{
        INCLUDERC=/path/to/walt's/recipes
}

or somesuch.  Note that Walt's recipes will append a header line to
email from suspect hosts, which can then be scanned for in normal
procmail recipes.

      This is not a question on how to do my own Orbs checking,
I use Spambouncer for that.

Then have your ISP implement spambouncer system-wide.

p.s.  What happened to the original Orbs?

Check http://www.dorkslayers.org/ for the timeline.

--
  Paul Chvostek
<paul(_at_)it(_dot_)ca>