Re: testing YAVR and other recipes

2003-02-03 10:21:29
On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Bill Wilson wrote:

Hi.

I would like to filter viruses in our incoming mail.

I set up YAVR and I would like to test it. What is the best procedure to
test this, or other virus recipes without getting infected? Where do I get
the viruses to test?

        You are looking for the EICAR string.

        From  http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm:
        This test file has been provided to  for distribution as the
        "Standard Anti-Virus Test File", and it satisfies all the criteria
        listed above. It is safe to pass around, because it is not a virus,
        and does not include any fragments of viral code. Most products react
        to it as if it were a virus (though they typically report it with an
        obvious name, such as "EICAR-AV-Test").

        The file is a legitimate DOS program, and produces sensible results
        when run (it prints the message "EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE").
        It is also short and simple - in fact, it consists entirely of printable
        ASCII characters, so that it can easily be created with a regular text
        editor.   Any anti-virus product which supports the  test file should
        "detect" it in any file which starts with the following 68 characters:

      Are there any other recipes besides YAVR that do not
require 3rd party anitvirus applications?

        You will find good info here:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/openantivirus/mini-faq

Bye,
 Udi