Re: Getting fetchmail work with procmail

2003-05-01 16:12:11
At 00:14 2003-05-02 +0200, Eduard Warkentin did say:

I've vonfigred sendmail to run procmail as MDA, which invokes SpamAssassin
for every incoming mail.

Well, uh, from your description of what ISN'T happening, I suspect that this isn't really the case. If you have to get fetchmail to run procmail directly (instead of handing it to the localhost MTA), then there's something wrong with the setup.

From "every incoming mail" I get the impression that you mean that you're running SA from /etc/procmailrc (if so, please just state as much, as it saves confusion), since "root", "user 1", and "user 2", etc should all be processed through that as part of "every incoming mail". If instead, you're talking about a ~/.procmailrc invoked SA, just on _your_user_account_, then that's different.

I've read the man pages, and added the "-m /usr/bin/procmail -d %T" to my
fetchmail cron job, but the result is not very satisfying. In the log file

In the manpages, you should find reference to the fact that /etc/procmailrc is *NOT* executed when procmail is invoked with '-m'. So, if fetchmail is invoking procmail in this fashion, it's not a surprise if SA isn't being run (assuming your "every incoming mail" reference means that SA is invoked from /etc/procmailrc).

Review your config, and if this englightenment doesn't point out what is wrong, then please follow up with a clarification of what you're _really_ doing, since it's near impossible to diagnose specific problems from vague overviews.

'nuther Q: did you _start_ with the -m invocation, or did you simply switch to it after a previous config failed to work?