Re: Processing mail NOT for a couple of recipients...

2003-05-04 15:09:13
At 10:51 2003-05-04 +0200, Eduard Warkentin did say:

The background is, that I've set up my RH7 box (through sendmail.cf) to
redirect all mail for "root" to "hostmaster", since "hostmaster" has a POP3
mailbox while "root" doesnt, or at least isnt allowed to POP3.

Redirecting mail for the root user makes lots of sense, security wise (provided you're not sending passwords around in the clear, which is a fool thing to do anyway). Properly, you'd do this in the aliases file, not the .cf itself.

However, when running my global "/etc/procmailrc" as "root", all mails that
are not matched by a recipe will be delivered to "root".

/etc/procmailrc is run with root permissions for ALL users, up until you use a "DROPPRIVS" command, which causes procmail to relenquish its elevated perms and assume the perms of the user which it is actually processing mail for (in your case, hostmaster).

I've got to wonder, why are you redelivering mail in /etc/procmailrc? Shouldn't mail simply go to whoever it was supposed to go to?

My idea is, to set up a recipe that will match on all recipients (that will
include system accounts as well) that are not in the set (hostmaster, user1,
user2, user3).

Can anyone please help in solving this?

Yea, I can give you some advice: use your MTA for MTA tasks. Procmail isn't intended to act as an MTA, and you'll ALWAYS fall short of expectation when trying to hammer that round peg into the square hole.