Re: Executing external cmds via procmail

2003-05-07 14:29:32
On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 10:33:58PM +0200, Dallman Ross wrote:

If you put the lockfile before the open brace, how will procmail
know what to name it?  Perhaps a regional (global that is then
unset) lockfile is in order, then.

To quote the procmailrc(5) man page:
The lockfile is named "/path/to/file.lock", and execution of program is
protected by the lock.

Now, Paul . . . don't go and get pedantic on me. :-) I know about
naming lockfiles.  But you wrote back to the OP and just had a lonely
lockfile-colon up there with no lockfilename, and that's what I was
questioning.  :-)

Am I writing emails now that appear neither in my procmail folder nor my
own memory?  I can't find any messages I wrote in which unnamed lockfiles
showed up except in recipes quoted from previous posts.  :)  As far as I
can tell, the only real error I made was the second delivery recipe in
my original response, which duplicated the (as yet un-hit) error in the
original post.

I still am wondering if the flag doesn't accomplish the task here
to avoid a race.  (Frankly, I would have simply fed the body to
the program in the first place, and not bothered to save it first
to a file.)

It's conceivable that said program doesn't know how to deal with stdin.
Since we don't know what the program is, we can't predict its behaviour
or capabilities....  (Pedantic, I know, but there you go.)

      :0 Bwhi
      * ? program
      { some action, assuming program can take piped input and
        can put out a proper exit code }

Ya, that would be the more elegant solution, by far.

--
  Paul Chvostek
<paul(_at_)it(_dot_)ca>