Re: bug in ^TO_ macro: character '+' *is* allowed in emails

2004-11-26 13:57:59
Sorry but I find this discussion somewhat pointless (and only glanced
over it). It's unlikely to be a good idea to change the definitions of
^TO and ^TO_ as they've been static frever.

I did have problems with the pre-defined patterns myself: FROM_DAEMON
matched info(_at_)some(_dot_)domain(_dot_)net, when this email address is used
by a real
person. In fact, those info@ addresses are very common these days. This
effectively makes FROM_DAEMON useless for avoiding to respond to daemons
as it also catches real addresses. It's easy to add more conditions for
catching what FROM_DAEMON missed, but it's impossible to undo what
FROM_DAEMON has already matched.

What I'd wish for is that the definitions of the pre-defined expressions
come from variables which can be changed at runtime, defaulting to the
existing definitions of course. Would this be difficult to implement?

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is possibly list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/             Please do not CC list postings to me.