Re: SPF advocacy

2004-01-27 19:39:29
(I've looked, but if I'm making some wrong assumptions, i apologize in advance..)

What we really care about is the authentication that the headers listed is truthful. As long as one of the headers (Sender:? ) with the email address is truthful, and the Reiceved-From: are good, we can track spam, and do blocking, as needed.

A short bit of discourse:

I have my own mailserver, at my apt, on earthlink. I use their SMTP relay servers, for now.

I may have to set my Sender: to be username(_at_)earthlink(_dot_)net even though my From: is mbarr(_at_)example(_dot_)net(_dot_)

This may end up with some email clients needing to be able to set the Sender: header, in addition to the From: & Reply-To:

Now, what I will probably do is just make sure that I can send out via my own servers, or add the ptr to earthlink, for my domain. For a user that wants to send as Meep(_at_)uni(_dot_)edu, but from Earthlink, it might be a bit harder, until there is an ability to set Sender:

( Throughout this, I've been assuming the envelope data is stored in the Sender: header. I could be wrong on that one.. Just roll with it :-)

They will either have to set the envelope to an address the SMTP server is authorized for, or the Rewriting will have to happen.

The Uni people will have to live.. or go with +all or ?all. Or just allow their old alumni to connect back into the net for SMTP.

(I doubt the later part will happen. Too much work for managing authentication. But at least it's not storage space.. just the temporary SMTP relay.)

Matthew

Matthew Barr
mbarr(_at_)datalyte(_dot_)com
Managing Partner