Re: SPF and Responsibility

2004-07-22 07:23:51

Michel Bouissou wrote:
Le jeudi 22 Juillet 2004 15:52, Daniel Taylor a écrit :

Comparing web/http and email/smtp makes no sense whatsoever.

Why not?

Well, we are discussing email forgery problem, because it is so widely common that it is a real pain in the ... of the whole email system. We are not discussing web pages forgery problem, and it happens that there are very uncommon, unless your web or DNS server has been broken into and compromised (not talking about "phishing" spam that directs people to pages that may look to be yours, but actually don't come from your server).

Exactly. What I'm saying is that e-mail should be, and needs to be more
like that. This is why having a high standard for what PASS means is important.

The very fact that email/smtp suffers from the forgery disease to this extent, where web/http does not, proves that the issues are radically different, their causes are different, their remedies (if needed) will have to be different, and one does not compare to the other more than a pimple on the nose compares to a heart attack...

I'd say it proves nothing of the kind. E-mail was set up as a more
distributed system due to limitations of the early internet. It was
likely that you would not be able to communicate directly with the
destination of your e-mail, so things like open relays were necessary
to ensure that traffic could pass. Times change, and now the problems
of the distributed system outweigh the benefits and we need to go
to a more controlled system like the web. SPF, DK and other sender
authentication schemes are an attempt to preserve the parts of the
existing system that are still useful while allowing source
authentication, which is necessary to cure the problem of forgeries.

And you cannot compare what you expect to get when you contact a server for asking a web page that it permanently hosts (web), and email that you receive from a server that didn't originate the message by itself, but merely acts as a forwarder (whatever controls it may or may not implement).

But you _should_ be able to have an expectation of authenticity
under certain circumstances. SPF allows the sender to state what
those circumstances are by declaring trusted servers with the PASS
mechanism, untrusted servers with NEUTRAL, and invalid servers with
FAIL.

--
Daniel Taylor          VP Operations            Vocal Laboratories, Inc.
dtaylor(_at_)vocalabs(_dot_)com   http://www.vocalabs.com/