Re: draft of email security glossary for review

2004-12-30 07:33:00

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rene Barbier" <Rene(_dot_)Barbier(_at_)irislink(_dot_)com>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 6:05 AM
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] draft of email security glossary for review

william(at)elan.net wrote:

I tried to locate Sender-ID and Caller-Id as such and couldn't find them
at first. It would be nice to have them linked to the SID and CID
entries.

I commented on this before when Hector asked me to remove those all
together.

Basicly there is a controversy over MS trying to steal those terms from
either
their legitimate owners or how they are used right now. I'm not a
proponent
of such actions and chose not to include terms but did include acronyms.

What is the intended target audience of the glossary? If it's anybody
who wants to get informed, they are likely to lookup those terms.

Yeah, and when they do google it, they will find 92,000 hits dating back to
the late 80s and early 90s that has ABSOLUTELY nothing do Microsoft's
hijacked term.

Go ahead and GOOGLE: CID CALLERID

        on the WEB, 92,000 hits
        on the Groups:  14,600 hits

Reading the archives, I think what was objected to was the direct
association of caller-ID with Microsoft as caller-ID can also be used in
different contexts, but your choice of words under CID (in email
security this refers to a Microsoft proposal ...) takes care of that.

CID and/or CALLERID is already prior art in EMAIL SECURITY!.  It is part of
modem and internet CID security logging and event CBV systems and has been
for a VERY LONG time.   So sure, I am sensitive to this hijack and I issued
my opinion directly to Microsoft about this misused of generic terminology
for a specific new, not even in used protocol.

Yet, we don't claim it because it is generic as popcorn.  Hundreds of
products use this stuff for the exact context of modem caller id and/or
email address verification since the dawn of the telecommunications world -
something Microsoft did not invent.

So lets not begin to feed and/or reassign ownership to something that wasn't
theirs to begin with?  Ok?

Finally,  professionally, an acronym is typically, usually and technically
correctly based on the related title. The title is "Microsoft CallerID Email
Policy," therefore it is very appropriate to use MCEP.  It's perfect and any
future search will include a 1 link to the MCEP association among the 92,000
already in existence. :-)

Sincerely,

Hector Santos, CTO
Santronics Software, Inc.