RE: [spf-discuss] Re: SPF adoption statistics

2005-11-23 08:00:37

-----Original Message-----
From: Hector Santos [mailto:spf-discuss(_at_)winserver(_dot_)com]
Sent: woensdag 23 november 2005 14:27
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Re: SPF adoption statistics

No, that is not the case. If the server sends 'EHLO mail.example.com'
then this means that there must be a DNS A record

mail.example.com. IN A a.b.c.d

It says nothing about the existence of a PTR record for
'd.c.b.a.in-addr.arpa' nor of the content of that PTR record if it
does exist.

Good morning Mr. Graham (of coke) Murray,

Have you written SMTP server or in this case SMTP client software?

In lieu of hard coding the client domain name, I would love to know how
you can get the client domain name to be used for the EHLO/HELO command
when all you have is the socket connection IP address.

Hector, "If the server sends 'EHLO mail.example.com' then this means that
there must be a DNS A record" is as true a statement as you will ever come
across.

 SMTP log started at Tue, 22 Nov 2005  00:46:53
 Connection Time: 20051122 00:46:53  cid: 0000BE56
  Client IP: 72.144.150.205 (unknown)
  00:46:53 S: 220 winserver.com Wildcat! ESMTP Server v6.1.451.6 ready
  00:46:53 C: EHLO hdev1
  00:46:53 S: 250-winserver.com, Pleased to meet you.

Outlook used the socket call gethostbyaddr() which will return the netbios
computer name "hdev1" for my home office machine.

I am not, in the least, interested in the brokenness of your Windoze
client software. If you configure an MTA that sends mail directly to the
outside world, then you better do it with a FQDN for HELO/EHLO. And better
have an A record associated with that name. I do not care, in the least,
that your Windoze client software sends out some vague netbios name. It
really just means you do not how to configure your machine properly.

And to answer your question, yes, I have written SMTP server and client
software.

When you figure it out, get back to us but before you do, patent it. OK?

It has long been figured out. Receivers are perfectly in their right to
reject your hopelessly wrong netbios HELO names. And, if you encounter a
friendly MTA, he will allow you access when you connected using a trusted
mechanism, such as SASL or DRAC. Other than that, fix what you send out.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,