dkim-dev

Re: [dkim-dev] SSP2 implementation

2006-09-02 14:18:07

Douglas Otis wrote:
Implementation at the MTA should not be an issue as *nix DNS et al
handle new RR types.

There may be issues related to accessing new RR types by servers and MUA
clients within a Windows environment. Are there any observed problems?
One problematic scenario that I am aware of, concerns automated hosting platforms. There are currently lots of small hosting providers which use automation platforms (like Helm, Plesk, or 'homebrew' solutions) that handle integration and client end interfacing. Typically, a user of such a platform will only have DNS RR access through a web interface that (at the present time, at least) is limited in functionality (and certainly has no flexible RR options). Thus, while large companies that (generally) host their own DNS will have no problems deploying DKIMP RRs, the SOHO and private category might not be able to properly deploy.

Windows solutions (at both the server and client end) are - generally speaking - somewhat inflexible, so I think that introducing new DNS RRs might actually be quite problematic; certainly something that needs considering.

Mircea