dkim-dev

[dkim-dev] DomainKeys vs DKIM: Identifying the Sending Domain

2007-05-04 12:29:12
Under the DomainKeys spec, I ran into some trouble with respect to identifying the sending domain. The DomainKeys spec explicitly says that receiving agents must use the From: or Sender: field to identify the sending domain against which to authenticate the DomainKeys signature.

Writing a push-pull mail-forwarding system, I found this restriction aggravating with respect to ensuring end-user experience. Ideally we want the human recipients to see only the "original" From address and be unaware (unless they examine extended header information) that the message was forwarded. Of course different e-mail programs will behave differently, but most, for example, do not show low-level fields such as "Received:", so it should be possible.

However, we would also like to ensure that the receiving MTA is able to verify our server using Domain Keys, SPF/Sender-ID, etc., in order to avoid the messages being identified as forged-return-address spam.

With SPF/Sender-ID, we can do this by populating the "Resent-From" field with an address belonging to the forwarding domain. Hotmail and other SPF/Sender-ID verifiers correctly find our SPF domain records and validate the Resent-From.

With Domain Keys, we were forced to use the "Sender" field, but the downside is that some e-mail programs (e.g., Outlook 2003) display this field to users, displaying "From XXX sent on behalf of YYY" where XXX is the Sender field and YYY is the From field.

I notice that the new DKIM spec (draft-ietf-dkim-base-10) does not explicitly say which header field receiving agents are supposed to verify signatures against. Section 6.1 seems to imply that the "From" field can be verified, but neither confirms nor denies whether more hidden fields such as "Resent-From" (or "Resent-Sender") could be used.

Is the selection of what to verify against truly absent from the DKIM spec? Is there anything we can do in order to ensure that the receiving mail server (verifier) is able to correlate the sending domain with a DKIM entry and thus verify the message against our published DNS TXT records, without resorting to highly-visible fields such as "From" or "Sender"?

--
Tim Gokcen
Mpathix - Development