dkim-dev

Re: [dkim-dev] DomainKeys vs DKIM: Identifying the Sending Domain

2007-05-04 16:46:25
On Fri, 4 May 2007, Douglas Otis wrote:
One still can't safely infer that [some](_at_)example(_dot_)com email-address is genuine, even when signing and email-address domains match.

...nor did DKIM ever claim such.

This overlooks rather complex issues of safely communicating to the user the set of conditions considered necessary upon which trust is based.

It assigns the handling of such complex issues to the system administrator, who is at least in part responsible for local policy definition and enforcement rather than the user.

I don't expect my users to understand DKIM or its implications, but I do expect myself (as my domain's administrator) to understand them and pass that benefit on somehow by simplifying it as much as possible.

In addition, such trust makes an assumption that the signing domain is performing email-address validation. That assumption is not based upon any sender assurances.

No, it's making the assertion that I don't care about local-parts when they come from domains that sign and then successfully verify using DKIM. I don't know what local-parts might be valid or invalid, but to some extent I don't care either.

DKIM renders difficult the spoofing of domain names on e-mail. What you're talking about is preventing spoofing even of local-parts. While it can't hurt to have such a capability, I don't find its absence to be much of a showstopper either.

-MSK